[Mailman-Users] I've downloaded the software: now what do I do?

texas critter texascritter at ditb.net
Sat Mar 20 17:43:09 CET 2004

On Saturday, March 20, 2004 7:53 AM, Joy Warren wrote:

> How do I open Mailman?
> Can't even find a blithering .exe file.

It's not a Windows program, that's why there's no .exe file.

> And am I doing irreparable damage to my networked computer which
> uses Windows XP?

>From the Mailman FAQ:

1.6. How do I run Mailman on Win2k (Win98, etc)
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.006.htp

Mailman is designed for Unix (or Linux) systems. It may run on Windows
systems after a lot of tweaking, but everyone recommends against it.  If
you must, you will need Python and a mail transfer agent at the least.

5.2. Will Mailman work with Windows 2000?
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq05.002.htp

Yes. Here are the steps required to make it work using exim as an MTA and
IIS as a web server.
Pre-requisites
Warning: This list of cygwin required components may be incomplete. Send
changes to transom at extremelogic.com.
Cygwin (www.cygwin.com)
You must set the system environment variable CYGWIN=ntsec for mailman to
work
Exim
(ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/pc/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Humblet_Pierre_A/
V1.1/)
Mailman (www.list.org)
Note: GNU Mailman running under cygwin on Windows 2000 cannot be used to
create private mailing lists. All mailing lists will be public.
[see url for full details]

Don't know about XP, no mention of that in the FAQ.

hth,
texas critter

--
EL-M FAQ: http://www.emaillist-managers.com/