[Mailman-Users] ImportError: No module named japanese

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Mar 17 20:39:34 CET 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 13:46, Ana Carolina Alonso de Armiño wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 	I have a problem using mailman: I have a mail server (sendmail) where I
> hade installed mailman 2.1.4. There is installed Python 2.2.2. and
> Python-devel. I have a list and when I run the command list_list it work
> very well.
> 	I have another server, my web server running apache, there is installed
> Python 2.0 and Python-devel. I hade mounted the mailman directory into my
> web server using NFS. When I run a command, like list_list, it give the error:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "./bin/list_lists", line 44, in ?
>      import paths
>    File "./bin/paths.py", line 55, in ?
>      import japanese
> ImportError: No module named japanese
>
> 	I don`t understand where is the problem. Any idea?
>
> Ana

Hmmm, two different versions of Python all using the same Mailman
install via NFS... that doesn't sound like a very good idea.  Still it
might work.

If you look in "paths.py" you will see the line:
  import japanese

This imports a python module for handling Japanese character encoding.
The module probably exists on mail server, but definitely has not been
installed on your Web server. Once you install that module, the error
will probably go away... and be replaced by some other error indicating
some other missing modules.

Make sure you have a full Python install running on your Webserver.
Most distributions of Linux only include by default the modules that
their system apps use. Generally the others are all lumped into a larger
package called Python-development.

Good luck - Jon Carnes