[Mailman-Users] Virus sent to lists "from" my domain - add password for moderated users

Jamie Penman-Smithson jamie at silverdream.org
Tue Mar 16 16:21:24 CET 2004

Hey Arthur,

On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 18:53, Arthur Gibbs wrote:
> Using Mailman 2.1.3, we have had problems with virus-generated messages with
> spoofed senders getting through to a one-way list.

IMHO this is not something Mailman should worry about, it's a problem
for the MTA, either use SPF, DNSSEC, etc.

Under Postfix you can just run two instances, one for inbound mail, one
for outbound mail, the inbound instance doesn't accept mail appearing to
come *from* your domain. Of course this doesn't solve other spoofed
addresses, the answer to this lies in such things as SPF.

You could suggest the idea of passwords for every post to the MM3-dev
list, but other than that I don't think Mailman should have to worry
about spoofed senders, it's not its job.

Just my £0.02p

-j

-jamie <jamie at silverdream.org> | spamtrap: spam at silverdream.org
 w: http://silverdream.org | p: sms at silverdream.org
 pgp key @ http://silverdream.org/~jps/pub.key
 14:30:01 up 14:44,  9 users,  load average: 0.13, 0.10, 0.09