[Mailman-Users] Upgrading from mailman-2.1.2-44 to mailman-2.1.4-1

David Kramer david at thekramers.net
Mon Mar 8 01:16:19 CET 2004

So I'm having some minor problems with mailman, and my server's too stable
these days, so I thought I would upgrade some of my software to make my life
more interesting ;)  This is on SuSE 9.0 Professional.

I found an RPM on rpm.pbone.net for mailman-2.1.4-1.  I did an rpm -ql to list
the files in it and noticed that mailman-2.1.4-1 has all of the sharp
whirring bits under /var/mailman, while 2.1.2 has the program-related files
under /usr/lib/mailman, and the list/data files under /var/lib/mailman.  This
may be because the new one is designed for Fedora, but I could not find one
for SuSE 9.0 later than 2.12.

- If I do an rpm -Uvh to upgrade, will it move all the data to the new
location and remove the sharp whirring bits from /usr/lib/mailman and /var/
lib/mailman?

- Can I copy the list data to someplace safe, remove mailman, install the new
mailman, and drop my data files into the new location and just have
everything work?  Is there some "list of lists" that would need to get
tweaked so the sharp whirring bits know where to whir?

Disclaimer- I know my second question is _close_ to something in the FAQ, but
not quite the same.

Thanks in advance.

DDDD   David Kramer                   http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D
DK KD  Pretense and adversity are inversely proportional;
DDDD   Adversity reveals the true nature of all things.