[Mailman-Users] upgrading Panther Server basic install 2.1.2 to 2.1.5

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Wed Jun 30 01:18:26 CEST 2004

At 4:14 PM -0400 2004-06-29, Thomas Waters wrote:

>  OK. v So I have the 2.1.5 folder on the desktop.  Do I want to use the
>  terminal and mv to move the directory to the location of the existing
>  directly?

	No, you don't want to do that.

>             Will this overwrite everything in /usr/share/mailman? Then
>  run bin/update?  Or do I use the terminal to run bin/update from on
>  the desktop?

	Problem is, we don't know the specific options that Apple used
when they built the previous version.  You could try using "make
update" from Terminal at the top level of the Mailman folder, but
you'd need to make sure to specify the correct target Folder.  That
might also miss some other build options.  Unfortunately, Apple
didn't document anything, so we're pretty much completely blind.

	To do this right, I fear that you're going to have to do a
complete fresh install and then copy over selected data.  You may (or
may not) be able to copy over the configuration files, so you may be
forced to regenerate that information.

	This is a typical problem with any vendor pre-packaged version of
a program.  Do you stick with the package version, which the vendor
is responsible for making sure works, or do you install the current
version from source?