[Mailman-Users] Mailman control on message rate ??

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Thu Jun 24 12:07:28 CEST 2004

At 6:19 PM +0530 2004-06-21, Yogesh Subhash Talekar wrote:

>  Since there are lists with large number of members,  I want to control the
>  flow of messages (rather rate of messages) which will be flowing from
>  Mailman to Postfix. I run the list via a separate virtual domain. Now
>  suppose I have 5000 members on one list and I want 20 mails to be sent per
>  second when a post expands from mailman. Also,I want to keep other mails
>  flowing through postfix unaffected.

	See the archives.  Generally speaking, this is a bad idea.  You
are much better off just letting Mailman dump the messages into
postfix as quickly as it can, and then letting postfix deal with the
issues of queueing mail over to the mainframe, etc....

	Postfix is much, much better at this job than Mailman ever could
be, and makes a point of automatically adapting the rate at which it
sends e-mail so that the remote end does not get flooded.