[Mailman-Users] mailman setup for vhosts

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Mon Jun 14 18:33:30 CEST 2004

At 11:14 AM -0400 2004-06-14, Scott R. Godin wrote:

>  I have a website client that would like a push-only mailing list that his
>  customers can subscribe to to receive announcements of special sales and
>  new products, and trade show schedules.

	As far as this goes, it's simple enough to do.  See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.011.htp>.

>  His website, however, is hosted on an ISP (running FreeBSD) who vhosts many
>  different other sites.

	This is not necessarily a problem.  If the mailing list server is
hosted elsewhere where they can have a private copy of Mailman hosted
for them, or if this is hosted as a virtual machine account where
they can have a private copy of Mailman hosted.

>  In the Features page, I don't really see any specific mention of whether
>  mailman would handle a server with many different vhosted sites. Obviously
>  one would like the clients to be able to subscribe and unsubscribe
>  themselves via a web-interface, but how to provide a link to the
>  client-side-admin page within the vhosted domain would be one question.

	Mailman handles virtual domains just fine.  The problem is that
this is done via aliases, and each listname is available from each
virtual domain.  So, you can't have two separate lists with the same
name under different domains.

	The folks at CPanel have come up with their own private patches
to resolve this issue, but then you'd have to host the list with
them, or run their software.

	However, before you decide to do this, consider that if you run
their software or host the list at their site, you'll have to get all
your Mailman support from CPanel and not here.  See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.011.htp>.

	There are other patches to support virtual domains in a
better/different fashion that I've seen posted to the list, but you'd
have to see the archives.  You should also search the SourceForge
patches list for Mailman.

	I found an old patch at
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=943827&group_id=103&atid=300103>
that was developed with Mailman 2.1.1-5.1/Debian stable, but I don't
know how well they work, or how much work would be required to bring
them forward to version 2.1.5.

>  Also I'm sure the ISP themselves would have questions regarding how this may
>  affect their other vhosted sites.
>
>  Can anyone provide me with some information and explanation of these issues?
>  I'd be most grateful.

	I think that searching the archives and SourceForge are likely to
be your best bet.