[Mailman-Users] Lists work... updated question

Doug Lipman doug at storydynamics.com
Tue Jul 20 05:14:33 CEST 2004

Dan Phillips was kind enough to answer my first question off-line.
His advice got me much farther along in installing mailman My problem
continues, though, but I can't figure out the cause. This may be
related to the email aliases? I have copied this list of aliases to
the /etc/aliases file for the list "myw":

myw:              "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post myw"
myw-admin:        "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin myw"
myw-bounces:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces myw"
myw-confirm:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman confirm myw"
myw-join:         "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman join myw"
myw-leave:        "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman leave myw"
myw-owner:        "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman owner myw"
myw-request:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman request myw"
myw-subscribe:    "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe myw"
myw-unsubscribe:  "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe myw"

I saved the file and ran "newaliases".

I also have also had all along, in the
storydynamics.com.virusertable, this alias at the end of the list of
aliases:

@storydynamics.com     storydynamicscom at server.storyleader.com

Could this be taking precedence somehow over the aliases in
/etc/aliases ? If so, how do I change it? I looked at the mm-handler
contrib, but was afraid to use it without understanding it more. At
least I'm smart enough to not try everything. :-)

Here are the symptoms at this point:

	- when I register via the browser interface for a list, I get
a confirmation email.
	- if I confirm via the link, my user is added to the list, as
shown via the browser interface
	- if I try to confirm via email reply to
myw-reply at storydynamics.com, the email passes straight through to the
storydynamicscom at server.storyleader.com address mentioned above.
	- mail sent to any of the above aliases also passes straight through.

Am I right that the aliases are the problem? If so, any ideas how I fix this?

All the best,
Doug Lipman

>On Jul 18, 2004, at 11:04 AM, Doug Lipman wrote:
>>Additional info, which I'm sure is more to the core of my problem:
>>
>>I was wrong that the lists work. In fact, any message I send - from
>>any sender, registered or not - to the myw at storydynamics.com
>>address is sent on to the sender. When I fill out the subscription
>>form at <http://www.storydynamics.com/mailman/listinfo/myw>, it
>>appears that I am completing the process. But:
>>	1. no confirmation email comes to the new member or to me as
>>administrator.
>>	2. the subscriber list remains empty, too.
>>	3. no other previously "registered" subscribers get copies of the mail.
>>I guess the archiving problem is just a symptom of whatever is
>>causing this problem.
>>Any ideas?
>>Doug
>>

>I don't mean to insult your intelligence, and if you've already been
>through this step, please ignore, but the most common causes of this
>are outlined in the FAQ at
>http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.007.htp
>
>The MOST common cause in a new installation is that you haven't
>started the mailmanctl daemon.
>

>Dan

Doug Lipman, P.O. Box 441195, West Somerville, MA 02144
Phone: (781) 391-3672. Fax: (781) 391-6341. Toll-free: (888) 446-4738
Story Dynamics: workshops, performances, coaching

Web page: http://storydynamics.com
         Free monthly email newsletter, "eTips from the Storytelling Coach."
         "A wonderful, chock full of provocative ideas, storytelling
newsletter. I like it a lot!" - Loretta Greene (Tempe, AZ)

Upcoming workshops: http://storydynamics.com/Services/upcoming.html
The Soul of Hope: http://SoulOfHope.net
The Hasidic Stories Home Page: http://www.HasidicStories.com