[Mailman-Users] personalised emails

Ian A B Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Tue Jul 20 12:21:36 CEST 2004

--On Tuesday, July 20, 2004 9:32 am +0000 m.weerasinghe at ntlworld.com wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am new to mailman and mailing list software. I am trying to setup a
> mailing list for a charity which would like to send periodic emails to
> the patrons. They would like to send emails  but dont want the users to
> email each other so I am thinking of setting up a readonly list. I am not
> sure if mailman is able to send personalised email. I did search on this
> and it looks like the definition of personalised email is different to
> the definition I use!
>
> When I mean personalised email I mean the content should be able to
> address the recipient using their own name used in the subscriber list.
> From what I gathered others mean personalised email as the recipient
> field showing the users email address and not the list email address?
>
> I dont want to send generic emails. Is this doable? Instructions would be
> nice but pointers at docs are very welcome. I would prefer a polite
> answer and not "RTFM"

It is doable, but not with mailman, afaik. What you need is not list
software, but mailmerge software. I don't know about other platforms, but
if you have MacOSX there's a list of mailmerge software here. Much of it
shareware, none of it free:

<http://www.versiontracker.com/php/search.php?mode=basic&action=search&str=mail+merge&plt%5B%5D=macosx&x=13&y=8>

> Many thanks in advance
>
> Mat