[Mailman-Users] Mailman and X- headers

John R. Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Mon Jul 19 22:47:29 CEST 2004

I'm trying to verify whether our Mailman 2.1.4/Exim 4/SpamAssassin
system is working properly -- in particular, whether messages for the
list are being scanned by SpamAssassin.

In theory, Exim is routing to the SpamAssassin router before the Mailman
router.  Non-list mail through the system is being scanned, and has the
appropriate X-Spam* headers.  And a list message sent to a local user on
the system has the X-Spam* headers appended.  So the SpamAssassin
system, in general, is working

However, mail sent from Mailman to external recipients does not include
the SpamAssassin headers.  And, I'm a bit suspicious because several
spam messages have been caught as non-member submissions, and they (as
viewed in the Mailman held-message web page) do not show any
SpamAssassin headers.

So, my question is:  does Mailman strip X- headers from messages as it
processes them?  Or is it instead likely that I have something wrong in
the order of my Exim routers such that messages bound for Mailman don't
pass through the SpamAssassin router?

Thanks,

John Ackermann
jra at febo.com