[Mailman-Users] Exim4 and Mailman 2.1.4 and Debian -- SMTP 550 error

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sun Jul 4 23:22:41 CEST 2004

Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 4:35 PM -0400 2004-07-04, John Ackermann N8UR wrote:
>
>>  Here's the problem:  I can send mail to a list from an account on the
>>  list machine, and all recipients (either local or remote) get the
>>  message just fine.  However, sending a message to the same list from
>>  any remote machine yields a "550 unknown user" error for the list name
>>  at the sender machine, as follows:
>

>     Well, I'm just guessing, but I'd have to say that you haven't told
> Exim how to find the file which contains the aliases for your mailing
> lists.
>
>     But given your description of how you've back-ported Exim, and how
> you're not using the standard configuration for your OS, I think you're
> more likely to get help from a mailing list related to Exim or Debian.

Hi Brad --

Thanks for the reply.  My understanding is that Exim automagically finds the mailing lists without discrete entries in the alias file, and this in fact works for locally-generated postings.  That it works there, but fails for remote mail, is what's puzzling to me.

I'll wander off to the Exim groups to see what I find there.

Thanks,

John