[Mailman-Users] Can I set up a user-friendly write-to address?

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Tue Jan 27 17:05:25 CET 2004

I may be wrong but I think you can send messages to incel at incelsite.com
and that the incel_incelsite.com@<incelsite's-real-host>.com is only
how the list name is "viewed" through the Mailman web GUI. See below
for more on why I think this is the case.

>> I need to have the write-to address as simply :
>>
>> incel at incelsite.com
>
> This is how mailman does it by default.  The cPanel folks muck up the
> mailman source and then inflict it on the world.

That is not entirely fair. CPanel have decided to modify Mailman to
overcome the real problem of listname collisions on a machine
supporting multiple hostnames.

Mailman listnames occupy a single namespace per real machine and
Mailman provides no means to qualify listnames with a hostname. I view
that as an unresolved deficiency in Mailman and its way of handling
virtual hosts.

CPanel's modifications deal with the problem by "lying" to Mailman
about a list's name by introducing the virtual host into each listname.

The only installation of Mailman under CPanel I have seen was using
Exim as MTA and if I recollect, postings to addresses like
alist at virtual1.host.tld were delivered to Mailman as if the had been
posted to alist_virtual1.host.tld at the-real.host.tld. This allowed
Mailman to cope with also having alist at virtual2.host.tld supported on
the same machine as it would see posts to the second virtual host as
alist_virtual2.host.tld at the-real.host.tld, that is Mailman would see
two independent lists called alist_virtual1.host.tld and
alist_virtual2.host.tld. Without CPanel's mods, what the outside world
would see as alist at virtual1.host.tld and alist at virtual2.host.tld
Mailman would see as a the same list if virtual1.host.tld and
virtual2.host.tld resolved to the same machine the-real.host.tld

CPanel's implementation may be edgy, even flakey, and they would
probably be doing themselves and people using the modified Mailman they
ship a favor if the published their modification; they might find that
people would help them get it right. But the only people with the right
to demand access to the mods appear to be the hosting providers; to the
letter but maybe not the spirit of Open Software. Unfortunately, while
CPanel treat their modifications to Open Software as proprietary and
they get it wrong, it is Mailman's reputation that suffers; just look
at the number of queries posted to this list on CPanel related
problems.