[Mailman-Users] Some archived mesages don't display properly

Paul F. Williams paul.williams at uwex.edu
Wed Jan 14 19:22:37 CET 2004

I still am experiencing problems (at least it appears to be
a problem) with the archiving of email messages to lists.

We are running mailman-2.1.1-4 on redhat 9 with all the latest
updates.

The problem occurs when some subscribers send certain mime encoded
messages to a list.

When the email gets delivered to a subscriber via
the list  it looks fine.
But when it gets archived, the main body of the message is
not displayed.

If you actually take a look at the list.mbox/list.mbox file
the body of the message is there, it just doesn't display.

One sample message has the following content lines

------_=_NextPart_000_01C3D60B.53FADE40

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3D60B.53FADE40

The message that does not appear in the archive
is listed here.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3D60B.53FADE40

This section now contains the formatted message
but it also does not appear in the archive.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3D60B.53FADE40--

------_=_NextPart_000_01C3D60B.53FADE40

encoded file here

------_=_NextPart_000_01C3D60B.53FADE40--

This last part has a link to the jpp file
and when you click on the link the jpeg is
displayed.

==================================

So is there something wrong with the archiver
program.  Or is there something I can be doing.

I have experimented with Eudora 5.2 in sending messages
to our lists.  When you send messages you can select
"Plain", "Styled", or "Plain and Styled".

We also get a log of email sent from Microsoft mailers
which may have different Content-Type headers.

Each one seems to be archived differently.
So far I have not been able to identify what is really
going on.

I have mentioned to the listowner who brought this to my
attention, that the best I could do for now is to
tell the members not to send mime encoded messages.

By the way,  attachments seem to work correctly.

I welcome anyone's assistance.

paulw