[Mailman-Users] 4 things: conjugation with usenet, archivisation by arriving date, statistics, and link to the archives i

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Mon Jan 12 23:21:50 CET 2004

At 11:09 PM +0100 2004/01/12, Andrzej Kasperowicz wrote:

>  Well, it seems that instead of overriding "Date:" field by the date from
>  "Received:" it's enough to use the date from "Received:". At least in
>  Mhonarc it is like that. I think it should be available as an option in
>  Mailman.

	The Mhonarc authors seem to think it's okay, but I don't.  Not at all.

	Of course, you're always free to install Mhonarc, if you don't
like the methods employed by pipermail.

>  But when admin has no will/time to install it, it would be better to have
>  it included in Mailman, just like pipermail is included.

	The tools are there to make installation of an indexing engine pretty easy.

>  After all developers could had not included pipermail, and say 'hey,
>  there is Mhonarc, and hypermail, use that if you want to archive posts'.

	At the time pipermail was integrated, it was the best available
tool.  Mhonarc has improved (in some ways) since then, and it remains
an alternative that is not particularly difficult to install, if you
so choose.

	But it would be the worst possible mistake to try to make
pipermail ape Mhonarc in every way.

	You have much more right to expect your admin to install the
tools you want/need than you do to expect that the developers of
mailman will accede to your every whim.

	If you can't get your admin to install the tools in question (for
what is presumably a paying customer), how can you expect to get the
developers of mailman to do everything your admin won't/can't, and
for free?

	Barry (and team) have already provided all the necessary hooks to
allow you (or your admin) to do just about everything you want.
Beyond this, the best you can possibly hope for is that they will
take these items as fodder for future improvements, and that sometime
in the not-too-excessively-distant future, may look at that list
again and decide that it might not be too hard to consider doing one
of them.

	That is, unless you want to pay for the development of the
features you want.