[Mailman-Users] Fresh install questions

Paul Hutchings paul.hutchings at mira.co.uk
Sun Feb 15 13:19:21 CET 2004

First post, hopefully I've done my homework but there's a lot of
docs/settings and I'd like a quick sanity check :-)

I've a Suse 9.0 box called hostname.mydomain.com and have installed mailman
and apache (1.3.28-) from the Suse rpms, so
http://host.mydomain.com/mailman/whatever works as does mail in/out of
mailman.

My main concern is that I'm running apache/mailman/postfix on a box called
"hostname.mydomain.com" and for mailman lists I'd sooner use
"lists.mydomain.com".

I can do the following and it appears to work:

Add A and MX records for lists.mydomain.com in DNS pointing to the IP of
host.mydomain.com

Add lists.mydomain.com to the 'mydomain' variable in postfix and add
/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases to 'alias_maps' in postfix

Change lists.mydomain.com to the default in mailmans mm_cfg.py config file
so I have these options:

DEFAULT_NNTP_HOST = 'lists.mydomain.com'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'lists.mydomain.com'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'lists.mydomain.com'
DEFAULT_URL = 'http://lists.mydomain.com/mailman/'
MTA = 'Postfix'
POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postalias'
POSTFIX_MAP_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postmap'
DELIVERY_MODUL = 'SMTPDirect'
SMTPHOST = 'localhost'
OWNERS_CAN_ENABLE_PERSONALIZATION = 1

Now, having done that everything _appears_ to work - seems too easy so I'd
sooner ask now than start using the thing and run into some foul hiccup that
means I have to start over!

regards
Paul
--