[Mailman-Users] Switching to MacOSX

Bob Hutchinson hutchlists at midwales.com
Sun Feb 15 13:08:11 CET 2004

Paul Kleeberg wrote:
> Well I downloaded Debian and installed it on a machine and then was
> kind of stuck.  I am not a Unix admin by trade and RH has enough GUI
> tools (or at least I invested enough sweat into it that I learned just
> what I needed to know - no more) that I am able to configure that.
> With Debian, I could not get Xwindows running locally and for some
> reason was flaky when I tried firing it up remotely.

Xwindows is a client tool and will not help much in configuration, and
there are security issues. Instead, install Webmin from http://webmin.com
That will give you all the tools to configure Linux

Debian has dselect which is their answer to up2date. It maintains a
database on the machine and adding/removing packages is very simple and
there is help built in. If this box is to be a server, then you don't
want any GUI on there at all, just use Webmin. Apache, php, Perl, Python
and Mysql will all run out-of-the-box, and if your email demands aren't
too great just use the default Sendmail install, webmin has a good
frontend for Sendmail and the same goes for Apache and Mysql. Creating
users/groups, setting up cronjobs, aliases, viewing/editing files etc
can all be done with Webmin.

> I have left it sit because using vi (never learned emacs) to manage all
> of the configuration would be more of a investment in time than I am
> willing to spend.

vi is not very intuitive I know but you don't need it, Webmin will do it
all. vi is good for remote editing and is a quick way to just tweak a
config file but as a writing tool its just too clunky.

> I also got spoiled by RH updates.  I could do it remotely using the
> up2date and all necessary rpms would be magically installed.  I am
> clueless as to how to do something like that with debian.

dselect...

> Am I off base?

Try again, just install what you need by way of server software, plus
Webmin, which comes with Debian BTW.

I'm new to Mailman myself, but it installed on Debian OK, and the config
is the same whichever Linux distro you use. I test things out on a local
development box, a P166 with a 100meg or so of memory, get things going
on there and copy the files over once I'm satisfied, using scp, rsync or
ftp. I'm using Bill Shupp's Qmail toaster from http://shupp.org for my
mail, including antivirus and spam protection. Mailman comes with a
script and enough help to get it going. I haven't tackled the htDig
stuff yet, but it's on the list of TODO's ;-)

> I am a family doc in my day (and night) job and I do this server thing
> as a service to the community - a donation of money and time.  Of money
> I have some.  Of time I have little.

I do understand. Although I earn my living as a sysadmin for various
local SP's I also get involved with community stuff when called upon to
do so.

Hope this helps...

> I would welcome more of your thoughts.
>
> Paul
> --
> Paul Kleeberg
> paul at fpen.org
>

> On Feb 14, 2004, at 7:12 AM, Bob Hutchinson wrote:
>

>> Paul Kleeberg wrote:
>>
>>> I am currently using Mailman on Redhat 8.0 and to be honest it was a
>>> pain for me to get that to work with the redHat version of htDig
>>> which as it turns out was a beta version released as 3.2.  I am not
>>> looking to start a religious war but am considering switching to
>>> MacOSX Server from RedHat.  My current hardware is on its last legs
>>> and RH8 is no longer supported.  From the perspective of Mailman and
>>> htDig, am I making a mistake?  I think server comes with MM2.1.2  I
>>> doubt it comes with htDig.  I am marginally skilled with RH Linux
>>> and  BSD.  Will be easier or more difficult to configure MM and htDig
>>> on  the Mac than RH.  I run only a handful of lists that have 50 to
>>> 500  users.
>>

>> You might like to consider Debian, easy install and a fully supported
>> upgrade path, especially on security fixes. RH wants to go corporate,
>> good for the suits but not for me. Mailman runs fine, with qmail.
>>
>>> Paul
>>> --  Paul Kleeberg
>>> paul at fpen.org
>>> hutchlists%40midwales.com