[Mailman-Users] missing archives and weird size question

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Dec 23 04:07:08 CET 2004

david gordon wrote:

>Using Mailman 2.0.13 my list doesn't appear to have been archiving itself
>(via Pipermail).
>
>On the website archive page <http://mydomain.tld/mailman/private/mylist/>
>messages stop in August 2003. The option to download the full raw archive
>says it is 13MB.
>
>When I use an FTP client (Fetch) to look at the files on the server I see
>nothing in /usr/local/home/mailman/archives/private (Linux flavoured server).
>
>But when I connect by command line over SSH I see files
>
>admin at myserver mylist.mbox]$ pwd
>/usr/local/home/mailman/archives/private/mylist.mbox
>
>admin at myserver mylist.mbox]$ ls -lah
>total 44M
>drwxrwxr-x    2 mailman  mailman        80 Dec  8  2002 .
>drwxr-x--x    6 mailman  mailman       160 Dec  8  2002 ..
>-rw-rw-r--    1 mailman  mailman       44M Dec 22 13:54 mylist.mbox
>
>Clearly I don't do this enough to see the blindingly obvious mistake but...
>
>How come the archive is being written to today but I can only see file
>from August 2003 on the website?
>
>Why does the website say the mailbox is 13MB but its really 44MB?
>
>How do I get out of this mess?

I don't know if 2.0.13 has a bin/arch tool with the same function as
the one in 2.1.x, but if it does, you could just try

bin/arch --wipe mylist

to rebuild the archive from mylist.mbox. It might work, but it might
fail the same way that individual archiving has failed since August
2003.

My guess is that there is something in mylist.mbox in the message
following the last archived message from Aug 2003 that is causing the
problem.

See http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.003.htp

If bin/arch doesn't fix it on it's own, you'll have to find the problem
in mylist.mbox and "correct" that as explained in the FAQ.