[Mailman-Users] [still] No address associated with nodename

Jim Tittsler jwt at OnJapan.net
Tue Dec 21 03:33:50 CET 2004

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 11:25:58AM -0800, JP Kelly wrote:
> >On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 09:32:47PM -0800, JP Kelly wrote:
> >>I have mailman 2.1.5 installed on OSX Panther with exim as the MTA.
> >>When mailman attempts to send messages I get the following message in
> >>smtp-error log:
> >>
> >> Low level smtp error: (7, 'No address associated with nodename')
> >
> >It looks like the Mailman machine can't look up the IP address
> >of mailman.jpkvideo.net.  Is DNS working locally?
>
> Yes I have DNS running locally with the mailman.jpkvideo.net. zone
> existing.

> I find it interesting that nothing appears in the exim/MTA log even in
> debug mode.
> It seems mailman is not contacting exim at all.

That is what the error message is telling you.  Mailman's
connection via Python's smtplib is failing because it is not
successfully looking up mailman.jpkvideo.net (which is how
you've overridden the default for SMTPHOST in your mm_cfg.py).
(Does 'telnet mailman.jpkvideo.net 25' from the Mailman machine
actually succeed?)

> Is there a way to run mailman in debug mode?
> It would be helpful to know what is the actual name of the nodename
> mailman is trying to use.

In Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py you could stick a:
  syslog('debug', 'SMTPDirect connection to %s', mm_cfg.SMTPHOST)
in the Connection class's def__connect().

--
Jim Tittsler             http://www.OnJapan.net/      GPG: 0x01159DB6
Python Starship          http://Starship.Python.net/