[Mailman-Users] Re: Poster not receiving his own posts

Anthony Chavez acc at anthonychavez.org
Mon Dec 13 19:54:14 CET 2004

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:53:56 -0800 Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> wrote:

> Anthony Chavez wrote:
>>
>>I myself subscribe to this list, have the nodupes bit set, and see
>>"Receive your own posts to the list? Yes" in my configuration page.  I
>>receive copies of my own posts.  Would that be because I'm the owner?
>
> That's how it should work for everyone.

The above statement seems to contradict the following one (from earlier
in this thread).

>>On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 15:36:51 -0800 Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> If a regular member's options include "nodupes" and the member's
>>> address is in a To: or Cc: header of the post, Mailman will not send
>>> the post to that member.

This latter statement seems to be the accurate one, but I'm at a loss as
to why I should be receiving my own posts when I have the nodupes bit
set.  The only logical deduction that I can come up with is that it is
because I am the list owner.

>>The other subscriber *also* has the nodupes bit, also sees "Receive your
>>own posts to the list? Yes" in his configuration page.  He *doesn't*
>>receive copies of his own posts, yet everyone else does.
>
> Then, assuming your re-analysis of the numbers is correct and Mailman
> is not sending to him, there is something about his post as received
> by Mailman which causes this. The most obvious thing would be that
> somehow his own e-mail address is in the To: or Cc: (how it gets there
> is another question).
>
> I suggest you carefully look at ALL the headers in his post(s) vs.
> yours to try to see if you can identify any suspicious differences.

Apart from the usual headers, there are 3 differences:

1. He has a few X- headers, such as X-US-Mail, X-Telephone, X-FAX and
   X-URL.  I have only X-PGP-Key.  In any case, these shouldn't affect.

2. I have User-Agent, Mime-Version, Content-Type, and
   Content-Transfer-Encoding.  Again, these shouldn't matter.

3. He includes a Cc: header with no value in every post.  This seems
   like it *could* be interfering, but why would it?

> Another possibility might be topics, but I'm guessing your list doesn't
> have topics defined or you would have looked at this.

No, topics have not been configured, but if they were standing in the
way, the message would be killed before being to delivered to *anyone,*
wouldn't it?

> You might also run bin/dumpdb on the list's config.pck file and see if
> there's anything there that is different for him than for others.

I see no differences outright.

Thanks again.

- --
Anthony Chavez                                 http://anthonychavez.org/