[Mailman-Users] mailman 2.1.5 - genalias not working for postfix?

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Mon Dec 13 18:44:27 CET 2004

On Sat, 2004-12-11 at 15:50, Jeffery Cann wrote:
> I have seen several threads related to the genalias command.  The idea
> is that with postfix, when you run genalias (and you have added the
> mailman alias files to your postfix main.cf), it will automatically
> update your mailman alias file.
>
> The problem for me on Fedora Core 3 is that when I set my
> MTA='Postfix' in the mm_cfg.py file and then run 'genalias', the alias
> file is supposed to be written to the data/aliases file.  On FC3, this
> is located in /var/lib/mailman/data/

If you are running the official FC3 rpm the location of the file is
/etc/mailman/aliases. This is documented in
/usr/share/doc/mailman-*/INSTALL.REDHAT. You will also have to edit your
/etc/postfix/main.cf file and make sure that the alias_maps variable
contains hash:/etc/mailman/aliases and restart postfix so it pick up the
configuration change.

Note the location of the MTA alias file changed during the beta period
of FC3, this means there is a possibility you may have installed an RPM
on your system prior to the official GOLD release which contains an
older location. You can verify the location of the alias file by looking
at the ALIASFILE variable in /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>