[Mailman-Users] Need help desperately - Problem logging in

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Dec 11 18:32:21 CET 2004

Bob Branch wrote:

>>I have to log in each time I change to a different category.   When I change a
>>to different category  I get the log-in screen and when I log back in I am now
>>in the category I desired.
>>An added symptom is even though I am in as administrator any changes I make do
>>not take effect.
>>
>>Any idea what is going on?  I did check my cookies and they are enabled.

And:

>1 - The problem exists only on this computer.  If I go to another one it works
>ok.
>2 - I restored my computer back to an earlier date  (I am using XP) and every
>thing worked .
>3 - I turned the cookies off and I could duplicate the problem.
>4 - BUT over the last week the problem came back.
>
>Something must be messing with the cookies - Any Ideas?
>Do you know where the cookies are placed and what the name of them are?

How cookies are handled is determined by your browser, but Mailman's
cookies are session cookies which normally aren't stored with
persistent coolies. Session cookies last only for the current browser
session. Persistent cookies are stored on your hard drive between
sessions in a browser dependent way.

If you are using MSIE 5, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223799/EN-US/ or for MSIE 6 see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283185/EN-US/ for detailed information
about cookie controls.

You might search google for "session cookies" if you want other
information.

You might have some unknown adware or spyware on your machine that's
messing with your cookie settings, although I think it would be more
likely to accept unwanted cookies than vice versa. You might visit
http://www.aumha.org/ for tools to help with this. Disclaimer - this
site was recommended to me by a friend. I've visited it, but I haven't
downloaded or used anything from it.