[Mailman-Users] Not able to send messages to lists I've setup

Jody Cleveland Cleveland at winnefox.org
Fri Dec 3 14:23:13 CET 2004

 Hi Jim,

> It sounds like the connection between the mail server and Mailman on
> the Linux server is not set up correctly.  If you send the mail from
> your Linux account, do you get the same error?

I get the same error no matter where I send the message from. From
gmail, I get this:

    test at email.winnefox.org

Technical details of failure:
PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 10): 550 <test at email.winnefox.org>: User
unknown in local recipient table

> The way you tell the mail server about the lists (and their
> associated
> -request, -bounces, etc ) addresses depends upon the mail server you
> are using.  It is often done by adding aliases for each list you
> create, but there are also "automated" ways of having the mail server
> detect the existence of your lists.

I'm running postfix on redhat 3.0AS server. I also have webmin running
on there. Going into the postfix area in there, under Mail Aliases, I
see this:

CREATED 	Address Wed
Address Dec
Address 1
Address 11:26:22
Address 2004
test 	Program /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post test
test-admin 	Program /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin test
test-bounces 	Program /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces test
test-confirm 	Program /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman confirm test
test-join 	Program /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman join test
test-leave 	Program /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman leave test
test-owner 	Program /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman owner test
test-request 	Program /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman request test
test-subscribe 	Program /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe test
test-unsubscribe 	Program /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman
unsubscribe test

So, it appears as though all the aliases were created.

> And in your case, since you are apparently forwarding all other mail
on to
> another server, you will want to make sure that the aliases
> are checked before that catchall step.

Actually, as far as mailman is concerned, it shouldn't be forwarding the
mail on. Since that's a local alias, it should be taking care of
everything itself. Shouldn't it? Is there something else I'm missing?

- jody