[Mailman-Users] messages stuck in queue after approval

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Fri Aug 13 21:02:53 CEST 2004

On 13 Aug 2004, at 18:21, Juan Nin wrote:

> Richard Barrett wrote:
>
>> Depending on how your MTA is configured and how heavily loaded your
>> server is the MTA may refuse a particular connection attempt if, for
>> instance, it has reached its concurrent connection limit or the load
>> factor on the machine exceeds specified limits.
>
> Thanks Richard!!!  :)
>
> I'm using Postfix and had "smtpd_recipient_limit = 50"
> I changed it to 500 and the e-mails were distributed!!!  :)

Your alternative is to assign a reduced value to the SMTP_MAX_RCPTS
Mailman config variable in $prefix/Mailman/mm_cfg.py from the default
value of 500 assigned in $prefix/Mailman/Defaults.py. A number of
contributors to the Mailman lists and the FAQ have suggested the
default of 500 is too large and there is no performance advantage in it
being set so high, for example see:

http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.006.htp

I am a little surprised that Postfix apparently did not gracefully
terminate the attempt to send the message to too large a number of
recipients and seems to have just dropped the connection to the client.
But I know not wot of Postfix.