[Mailman-Users] Re: Manking an announcement list

Russell Mann tech at khouse.org
Thu Aug 12 17:17:56 CEST 2004

> "Features: Members join by filling in a form on your website
> (and replying to the confirmation email). They will be sent a
> welcome message that does not mention how to post to the
> list. They will receive your newsletters, with a footer that
> gives simple instructions for unsubscribing. Only authorized
> persons can post to the list (send the newsletters). (Note:
> For this FAQ we are discussing how to setup an announcement
> list for a band.)"
>
> I am sorry but is not very clear, I use mailman's web front
> end and I wonder where is the options to set it up properly.
> Then it says
>
> " They will be sent a welcome message that does not mention
> how to post to the list."
>
> Are they discribing a newsletter-list? or they are suggesting
> going security through obscurity? I think this is a very
> obscure and non-specific response. If anyone have set up a
> newsletter through mailman control panel, please respond.

You will need to moderate all posts, and only approve the ones you want to
send.  For my announcement lists, I have one email address that I send them
FROM, so in Privacy Options > Sender Filters I set it up this way:

By default, should new list member postings be moderated?  Yes

Action to take when a moderated member posts to the list. Reject

List of non-member addresses whose postings should be automatically
accepted. - none
List of non-member addresses whose postings will be immediately held for
moderation.  - ADD THE ALLOWABLE POSTING ADDRESS HERE
List of non-member addresses whose postings will be automatically rejected.
- none
List of non-member addresses whose postings will be automatically discarded.
- none
Action to take for postings from non-members for which no explicit action is
defined. Reject
Should messages from non-members, which are automatically discarded, be
forwarded to the list moderator? Yes

As far as modifying the message the end user is sent, you can't do that from
the web based admin.  I think that can be edited somewhere around line 167
in

<root>/Mailman/Cgi/subscribe.py

--
Russell Mann