[Mailman-Users] perplexed by gate_news errors

Gary Merrick gmerrick at guidewire.com
Tue Aug 10 01:47:29 CEST 2004

I saw this question was posted several times, but wasn't able to find an answer.  Apologies if I missed it.

My gate_news cron job is spewing out these errors:

Subject: [Mailman] Cron <mailman at loadboss> /usr/bin/python -S/usr/local/mailman/cron/gate_news

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 284, in ?
    main()
  File "/usr/local/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 266, in main
    clearcache()
  File "/usr/local/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 121, in clearcache
    conn.quit()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/nntplib.py", line 564, in quit
    resp = self.shortcmd('QUIT')
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/nntplib.py", line 260, in shortcmd
    return self.getresp()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/nntplib.py", line 215, in getresp
    resp = self.getline()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/nntplib.py", line 207, in getline
    if not line: raise EOFError
EOFError

Other than the above errors, the mail<->news gateway seems to work fine.

My environment:
SuSE Linux 9.0
Mailman 2.1.5
Python 2.3
me: newbie

I had this same setup running on a RedHat box, and was receiving the same errors.  Any idea how to fix this?  Any information would be very much appreciated!

thanks,
Gary