[Mailman-Users] Email commands

Al Black alblack at achilles.net
Fri Apr 30 21:25:08 CEST 2004

Hey,

On April 30, 2004 02:18 pm, Dan Phillips wrote:
> On Apr 30, 2004, at 12:31 PM, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> > Louis Proyect wrote on Fri, 30 Apr 2004 11:59:45 -0400:
> >> Supposedly a message of "who 'password'"  sent to
> >> list-request at mailman.server will provide such a list but it does not
> >> seem
> >> to recognize the command
> >
> > So, what does it say in the reply?
>
> I wasn't the OP of this thread, but I've had the same frustration in
>
> the past.

I remember having this problem when I was first testing out mailman a while
ago (v 2.1 if I remember correctly), running on BSD.

I had the privacy options set so that only listmembers could see the other
listmembers.  When I sent in a request as just a listmember with the list
members password, then I got the error message.  When I sent in the request
as a listmember with the list-owners password, mailman returned the desired
results.  It also worked using the server-admin level password.  I didn't
fool around with the various permutations, or work on debugging it.

Since getting the list of members was a regular need, I ended up solving it,
by writing a script using

~/usr/local/mailman/bin/list_members -f listname | mail -s"listname list
members" someaddressalias

and running it as a cron job.

Hope this helps,
al