[Mailman-Users] Why am I getting this list from two addresses?

Thomas Hochstein ml at ancalagon.inka.de
Mon Apr 26 00:48:35 CEST 2004

"Kai Schaetzl" schrieb:

> I get mail for this list from these two:
>
> mailman-users-bounces+maillists=conactive.com at python.org

That is a VERPed address.

> mailman-users-bounces at python.org

That is the normal bounce address.

> Why?

For better identification of your address if a mail to you bounces. If
you forward your mail to another account, perhaps one won't be able to
get your subscription address from the bounce. If your address is
encoded in the envelope sender (as in the first example), one can
always identifiy bounces from your address.

As that is quite time consuming (you have to send each mail
individually), it makes sense to do this only every x mails.

-thh