[Mailman-Users] Mailman & CPanel?

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Tue Sep 23 00:49:22 CEST 2003

On Monday, September 22, 2003, at 03:32  PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> I recently received a message about problems with Mailman and CPanel.

www.cpanel.net

It's a commercial tool ($1500/CPU, roughly) for gui access to
administration of things. Basically seems designed for the colo/hosting
market. One of the tools they've built a widget for is Mailman. That
widget seems broken on at least one site.

> helping to make sure this is still a viable solution.  I know a lot of
> people use Mailman under CPanel, and I think that's a worthwhile thing
> to keep available.

I think, given it's a commercial product, that we don't have much
responsibility ot make sure cpanel works, not unless they pay for us to
support it. They've taken Mailman, attached their system to manage it,
and so it's up to cpanel to make sure cpanel works.

> I'm perplexed by something the message said though:
>
>         After many complaints, support at the host company said this:
> "Well,
>         mailman has just released a statement that they will not
> support
>         CPanel-based mailman installations anymore

so am I. Not sure who might have said that. I think the appropriate
response is really "we have no relationship with cPanel, and so it's up
to cpanel to make sure the product it sells works, and the Mailman team
has never been involved with cpanel in any way"

> Does anybody know anything about this?

I've seen people asking about it on ListOwners. I've kept my head down
because I didn't know what you'd said/done, but it sort of sounds like
it's either the cPanel folks trying to blame Mailman for its own
problems, or an ISP trying to blame cPanel and/or mailman. I know we've
never explicitly supported cPanel in the mailman projects. it seems
like cPanel is the crew to bring this up with, not us.