[Mailman-Users] mailman 2.1.1 not taking actions (subscribe)

Todd Green tag at cs.utah.edu
Mon Sep 15 18:22:57 CEST 2003

We've had an on and off again problem with mailman not actually performing
the actions it says it is doing.  The main example is subscribing to a list.
You can do the actions via the web or email interface and you'll get an
email confirmation that you are subscribed, but if you do a 'list_members'
for the list (or 'dumpdb') you are not on the list.  Server is Solaris9
using postfix as the MTA.

I've compared the perms, dumpdb's of broken and working lists and there are
no differences.  Here's the kicker.  If I manually "add_member" anyone to a
list, afterwards the web and email interfaces for that list start working
again.  dumpdb shows no difference on the database from before and after
dumps (except for the newly subscribed addresses of course.)  check_db turns
up nothing.

Nothing shows up in the error, etc. logs.  You'll just see the subscribe log
entries:

Sep 14 20:49:40 2003 (27454) cs3510-chat: pending tag at cs.utah.edu
155.101.251.134
Sep 14 20:49:59 2003 (27456) cs3510-chat: new "tag at cs.utah.edu" <>

I do see data/pending.pck get updated with the conf code etc., it is just
that the actual lists/list/config.pck never gets the entry, despite mailman
sending out the confirmation.

This is driving us nuts.  Any help would be appreciated,
Todd