[Mailman-Users] Mailman locks directory

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Oct 28 09:27:13 CET 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 14:37, Mailman Mailing List Manager wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
>      How dangerous is it to muck with the locks directory of a mailman
> install?
>
>      I'm trying to figure out why my mailman installation doesn't send
> messages through.
>
>      - postfix receives mail and passes it into the mailman wrapper
>        (from looking at /var/log/mail)
>
>      - mailman appears to be able to send (things like subscription
>        confirmations get sent out)
>
>      - but normal list traffic doesn't get through.
>
>      - there are a dozen or so files in the locks directory, even
>        though no messages have been sent out to the lists in a couple
>        weeks.
>
>      I'm wondering if there might be a way to kick-start mailman
> again, maybe by removing the lock files.  But would this be dangerous?
> I'm not worried about the messages that haven't gone out, at this
> point, just about getting things moving again.

You should definitely look at FAQ 3.14.

Also, you *really* need to tell us what version of Mailman you are using
and what OS (and anything interesting about your system: like it's
running in a chroot session on a vax cluster inside a vmware install of
win2k running cygwin with python version 1.2 - oh yeah, baby! and for
some reason, Mailman won't install...)

Feel free to play with the lock files. Each filename has the Process ID
as a part of the name. You can use "ps ax" to look for the process ID.
If you don't see that process running, then feel free to remove the lock
file.

Jon Carnes