[Mailman-Users] restarting a blocked list

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Oct 21 16:29:26 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 10:02, David Alexander wrote:
> Interesting... something similar happened to us (currently running version
> 2.1.2).  Two of our lists were not responsive and had to be re-built, after
> migrating from 2.0.x.  Now, another list is only partially responsive, and
> might have been that way for a while: if I send from Outlook or Eudora to
> that list, the message appears waiting to be Accepted, as it should;
> however, if I send the message via a ColdFusion program the message appears
> to be sent to the list, but never shows up on the list.  Meanwhile, the
> same ColdFusion code can send the same email to other lists in the same
> Mailman installation just fine.
>
> Our network administrator left for another job last week, and his
> replacement has not been hired yet.  I would like to solve this before a
> new person gets up to speed... perhaps I will indeed remove the whole bad
> list, since it is only a test list and only has about six entries in
> it.  Is it as simple as finding one file and using "rm"?
>
> I wonder if going to 2.1.3 might help with this problem....
>
> David Alexander
> New York Software Industry Association

In your case, I recommend that you change the mailman alias to point to
a local mailbox and then have the cold fusion program send off an
email.  That mail will be captured in the local mailbox and you can then
examine the headers with a critical eye.

In particular, I would look for white space that extends beyond end
characters and any non-ascii character that might be in the header (even
X-headers).

Good Luck.  It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Jon Carnes