[Mailman-Users] Base64 autoconversion of text

Hans Ehrbar ehrbar at econ.utah.edu
Tue Oct 21 09:00:24 CEST 2003

Hello,

a list subscriber sends mail through the Simon Frazer
University System in Vancouver, and whenever there are a few
non-ascii characters in his mail (usually the microsoft
quotation marks) his mail is converted into base64 and a
header of the kind

is inserted.  Mailman 2.1.2 converts these messages into
8-bit in the digest, which makes them legible, but they
appear as illegible base64-globs the archives, and it
converts them into multipart/mixed in the non-archive
version of the list, with the main text still encoded in
base64, and the mailing list footer as the second part.  Is
it possible to have Mailman convert them into 8-bit in the
archives and the individual messages as well?  Or is this a
job for the MTA (exim) and I should ask this question on the
exim mailing list?  What would be a desirable solution here
(not every mail recipient is able to read this
base64-stuff.)

I am running Debian woody and mailman from the unofficial package
depository deb http://debian.jones.dk woody misc

Thank you for your advice.

Hans G. Ehrbar   http://www.econ.utah.edu/ehrbar   ehrbar at econ.utah.edu
Economics Department, University of Utah     (801) 581 7797 (my office)
1645 Campus Center Dr., Rm 308               (801) 581 7481 (econ office)
Salt Lake City    UT 84112-9300              (801) 585 5649 (FAX)