[Mailman-Users] Re: Subscribing users from file

Paul H Byerly paul at thcwd.com
Tue Oct 14 18:56:39 CEST 2003

David wrote:
>I'm using the "Subscribe from File" feature to bulk subscribe users in ver
>2.1,
>and have worked out how to include the name and email address, but can I also
>include other details like delivery proference and moderation setting?  I
>couldn't
>find any docco on this feature.
>
>I am moving 500 users off YahooGroups and would like to preserve the
>subscribers
>current settings.

      I'm in the process of doing this myself, and there is no easy way as
far as I can see.  I did the additions in groups
      I assume you have exported the member list from Yahoo.  Drop it in a
spread sheet program and do some sorting.  Sort by method they receive
mail.  A few will be off because they out in their real name and it pushes
moderation one column right of where it should be - cut and paste those
into the right place and sort again.  Now you can add each delivery option
separately. All adds are set to individual mail, and you have to change
them on Mailman after you add them. Add the NoMail folks first, then go
through the Mailman member list and change all to NoMail.  Next add the
Digest folks, then go to the Mailman member list and change all those who
are not showing as NoMail to Digest.  Finally add the Individual E-mail
folks and you are done.
      For moderation you just have to go through and set them.  Sort the
information on your spread sheet alphabetically for the e-mail column . If
you have a second person to read them out while you make the changes you
can do it fast.
      You should be able to do a 500 person list in well under an hour
start to finish - faster with a second person.  And welcome to the ex-Y!G
fellowship.  One more this weekend and I'm gone from there!

<>< Paul