[Mailman-Users] wrapper script run as nogroup

Simon White simon at caperet.com
Wed Nov 26 15:35:15 CET 2003

26-Nov-03 at 08:57, Jeremy Gilbert (zhq9eva02 at sneakemail.com) wrote :
> > The wrapper script will run as the GID that it was compiled to
> > run as; this has nothing whatsoever to do with Postfix.
> >
> > You'll have to recompile Mailman with the correct --with-mail-gid
> > option. The option to give to --with-mail-gid is the group that
> > Postfix runs as...

> I agree this is how it should work and how I expected it to work,
> but that is not my experience.  I compiled Mailman with the
> default options, so the gid should have been, by default, mailman.
> I also compiled Postfix from source with the default options.  The
> only way I have successfully forced the wrapper to be run as gid
> mailman was to change the system and Postfix aliases files to be
> owned by gid mailman.  I don't know why this is, and I'm not going
> back to "fix" it now that it works just to find out.

Postfix, by default, would use postdrop as the group for most stuff;
this is described in the Postfix install instructions.

Mailman, by default, would use the group mailman.

However I really think you are going to need to recompile mailman with
--with-mail-gid=postdrop or something along those lines. I've not heard
of anyone just compiling both Postfix and Mailman with default options
and it working.

--
Simon White. Internet Consultant, Linux/Windows Server Administration.
email, dns and web servers; php javascript perl asp; MySQL MSSQL Access