[Mailman-Users] wrapper script run as nogroup

Jeremy Gilbert zhq9eva02 at sneakemail.com
Wed Nov 26 14:57:09 CET 2003

> The wrapper script will run as the GID that it was compiled to
run as;
> this has nothing whatsoever to do with Postfix.
>
> The postfix-users list will just tell you to come back here, I
expect.

> You'll have to recompile Mailman with the correct
--with-mail-gid
> option. The option to give to --with-mail-gid is the group
> that Postfix
> runs as...
>
> You could choose to be obtuse and recompile Postfix to run as
> the group
> nogroup, but I think that could break other stuff in the system
that
> depends on Postfix.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Simon White. Internet Consultant, Linux/Windows Server
Administration.

I agree this is how it should work and how I expected it to work,
but that is not my experience.  I compiled Mailman with the
default options, so the gid should have been, by default, mailman.
I also compiled Postfix from source with the default options.  The
only way I have successfully forced the wrapper to be run as gid
mailman was to change the system and Postfix aliases files to be
owned by gid mailman.  I don't know why this is, and I'm not going
back to "fix" it now that it works just to find out.

I guess it will remain a mystery why my Mailman works this way and
almost everyone else's works the way you described.

Jeremy Gilbert
zhq9eva02 at sneakemail.com