[Mailman-Users] Forcing "Invite" only?

Warren Woodward warrenw at xmission.com
Tue Nov 18 18:01:42 CET 2003

Our Mailman server is currently hosting somewhere ~300 lists (we provide
this service free to our subscribers).

We're having continued (and increasing) problems with our list admins
adding slews of people to announce-only lists who are then surprised when
announce posts arrive.  Ninety nine times out of a hundred, they turn out
to be completely legitimate subscriptions and the subscribers are just a
little too quick on the spam button.  However, these complaints still
cause headaches all around, and we've been toying with ways to stay the
tide.

We've instituted a system-wide policy of requiring hard copies of the
original subscription requests so the complaints can be disproven, but its
not quite enough.  What I'm interested in doing now is eliminating the
"Subscribe" option completely on the "Mass Subscription" page and forcing
the list admins to use "Invite" only.  I'm simply wondering if anyone else
has approached this idea and has any suggestions as to the easiest way to
accomplish this on 300 existing lists.

Also, there doesn't seem to be an invite tag on add_members.  Often we
have new lists migrate from elsewhere to take advantage of the ease of
Mailman, and we like to offer an on-server upload of addresses to save
resources and generally because its easier for admins of new, large lists.
Do I have to eliminate this policy completely, or have I (likely) missed a
CLI option somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  I'm sic'ing my webmaster on the
code in the meantime.

--
warren woodward
XMission DSL
warrenw at xmission.com
(801) 303-0819
(877) XMISSION

"I hold a beast, an angel and a madman in me."  Dylan Thomas