[Mailman-Users] Delivery Module

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Sat Nov 8 00:41:27 CET 2003

On Saturday, November 8, 2003, at 12:03  am, John Poltorak wrote:

> Can anyone explain the difference betweem SMTPDirect and Sendmail ?

SMTPDirect is generic and will work with any SMTP compliant MTA for
handling outgoing messages. As a consequence, the MTA does not have to
reside on the same machine as Mailman.

Sendmail runs/spawns a local instance of sendmail (or any MTA that is
masquerading as sendmail on your system) and is deprecated for
performance and security reasons. Read the comments at the head of
$prefix/Mailman/Handlers/Sendmail.py and do not use it.

> If I select Sendmail will outgoing mail be held in Sendmail spool
> queue?

Yes. All the delivery method does is pass outgoing messages to the MTA.