[Mailman-Users] Can't post to list

Simon White simon at caperet.com
Wed Nov 5 09:40:57 CET 2003

04-Nov-03 at 17:14, Foo, Randy (randy.foo at hp.com) wrote :
> Another newbie question:
>  Red Hat 9,
> apache web server 2.0.47,
> Mailman 2.1.2.  compiled from both apache.org and the mailman site
> source.
> Sendmail is the MTA
>
> I've created a list called "connery," through the web interface, but
> cannot post to it.  I entered the aliases for the list into
> /etc/aliases, and ran newalias, and even tried putting an alias file in
> at /etc/mail/aliases.  So far, I haven't even gotten a bounce message
> when trying to post - it's like the mail went into a black hole.  I
> presume the mail servers are probably holding the mail and trying to
> deliver repeatedly.

Have you checked whether the list admin interface is working, and
whether or not messages are being held for moderation? What do you have
in your logs for mailman and sendmail?

> Sendmail 'seems' to be working, as the list creation mail went *out* ok,
> but perhaps it's not receiving.  Not sure if this is a mailman issue.
> Am also not versed in sendmail (who is? it's huge!)

Get a better MTA, anything is easier to configure than sendmail. I
personally prefer Postfix, also Exim is good, and Qmail isn't all that
bad, if you like a little bit of a different take on things...

--
Simon White. Internet Consultant, Linux/Windows Server Administration.
email, dns and web servers; php javascript perl asp; MySQL MSSQL Access