[Mailman-Users] Re: Threading and In-Reply-To

Will Yardley william+mm at hq.newdream.net
Mon Nov 3 22:07:08 CET 2003

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 02:59:33PM -0600, McKeever Chris wrote:

> I have noticed that the threading on our archive does not work,
> looking through the Mailman Faq/Archive, I have learned that this is
> typically caused by the In-Reply-To not being supported via the Mail
> Client.  Looking at the headers from our Mailman installation, I have
> confirmed that In-Reply-To is in fact missing.

> Looking at other Mailman list posts, I have found that the In-Reply-To seems to grab its value from the references:

> It doesnt seem that I have the references header either.  Any more
> information on how this all works would be greatly appreciated.

Other way around; References contains all the message-ids from a thread,
and in-reply-to is the message that is being replied to (not
surprisingly). Have a look at RFC 822 / 2822.

The fix, of course, is to use a better mail client.

--
"Since when is skepticism un-American?
Dissent's not treason but they talk like it's the same..."