[Mailman-Users] Re: [Mailman-Developers] SLOW Mailmans delivery

Heiko Rommel rommel at suse.de
Mon May 19 10:56:55 CEST 2003

On Fri, 16 May 2003, Kory Wheatley wrote:

> Is there a way to slow down the delivery of Mailman to the subscribers
> of all my Mailing lists? We have one list that has 16,000 subscribers to
> one domain, all these accounts are on our mail server. Every time a
> message is sent out from this list, it really causes the load on our
> mail server to be high. Currently our Mail server is on a powerful 3
> processor HPUX 11 NClass server with 2GB of RAM.  Mailman 2.1.1 is on a
> Red Hat 8 Pentium 600mhz, using Postfix as the MTA.
>
> I have Postfix setup to do slow delivery to this domain (isu.edu), but
> that doesn't seem to help. I also lowered the   SMTP_MAX_RCPTS =  to 3,
> thinking that might help.
>
> Postfix is setup as:
> In Main.cf
> slow_destination_concurrency_limit = 1

Even if the HP machine is loaded, your Red Hat Box may still think it's fast enough.
Therefore, the slow_destination citeria might not apply.
Instead, try using the nqmgr instead of the qmgr and set
default_delivery_slot_cost
to something big (e.g. 20).

For further details, see man nqmgr.

Heiko Rommel            phone  +49-911-740 53 696
SuSE Linux AG           fax    +49-911-741 77 55
Deutschherrnstr. 15-19  mail   rommel at suse.de
90429 Nuernberg         www    http://www.suse.de/
Germany