[Mailman-Users] Mandrake 9.1 / ImportError: No module namedgetopt

Oliver.Egginger at dvz.fh-giessen.de Oliver.Egginger at dvz.fh-giessen.de
Tue May 13 13:46:23 CEST 2003

Richard Barrett <r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk> wrote:

> >It seems that it is caused by the line 255 from mailmanctl:
> >
> >os.execl(mm_cfg.PYTHON, 'qrunner', exe, rswitch, '-s')
>
> Just a thought, but what is the value of the variable PYTHON in
> $prefix/Mailman/Defaults.py and is this the same as the results of
> executing "which python" from the command line?

Default.py keeps:
PYTHON          = '/usr/bin/python'
and there are no overrides in mm.cfg.
The command 'ls -l /usr/bin/python' shows me:
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         3712 Feb  5 10:41 /usr/bin/python*

Also if there where a wrong path it should break with a command
or file not found error, I think.

For example:
I write a little test script called test.py here it is
-------------------------------------> SNIP
#! /usr/bin/python

import getopt

print "Hallo\n";

print (getopt.error);
print "\n";
------------------------------------->

If I start it from commandline it works faultless but if I call it
from within the mailmanctl script changing the lines 254 and 255 to
the following:

exe = os.path.join(mm_cfg.BIN_DIR, 'test.py')
os.execl(mm_cfg.PYTHON, 'qrunner', exe, rswitch, '-s')

It produces the error messages:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/mailman/bin/test.py", line 3, in ?
    import getopt
ImportError: No module named getopt
Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]

It's the same failure I get from the qrunner script,
which gets normally called at this point from mailmanctl.

> If they are not the same then this might hint at the cause of your problem.
> Did you add a --with-python option when you ran ./configure? If so with
> what value?

No. I don't exspect the problem there.
The python interpreter gets called.

I set