[Mailman-Users] Question about patches

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue May 6 00:54:39 CEST 2003

This is in the FAQ and discussed in the archives - so feel free to look
there for more details, but basically here is what you do:

 - download the source code and expand it - it will create a directory
with all sorts of files and subdirectories (this will be called the
"build" directory)
 - download the patch and gunzip it - if necessary
 - Apply the patch with the MM build directory as current
working directory using the command:
   patch -p1 < path-to-patch-file

The patch runs through the source files and makes modifications.  Now
you build Mailman like normal (read the file INSTALL in the build
directory):
  ./configure --any switches you need
  make install

If you keep the build directory hanging around then you can apply
patches at any point, and then simply re-install.

One of the really nice features of Mailman is that you can re-install it
at any time and it leaves your data/config alone, but refreshes the
binaries - so applying a patch is a snap!  Be sure to turn off
mailmanctl before doing a rebuild or you might loose some mail that is
being processed inside a queue.

If you have any more questions, don't be shy in asking.

Jon Carnes