[Mailman-Users] Setup an announce list

Richard Barrett R.Barrett at ftel.co.uk
Tue Mar 25 17:32:45 CET 2003

At 20:52 24/03/2003, Rod Neep wrote:
>In message <5.1.1.6.0.20030324152848.041ab740 at ext-proxy.ftel.co.uk>,
>Richard Barrett <R.Barrett at ftel.co.uk> writes
>>At 06:20 24/03/2003, Brian Read wrote:
>>
>>>The latest downloadable version of mailman is 2.1.1, try here:
>>>
>>>http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/mailman/
>>
>>Usually the sourceforge is the best place to get the latest MM.
>>
>>See: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=103
>>
>>You will also find patches for the latest stable release on sourceforge
>>and a CVS repository for the current MM development in progress.
>
>We are a tiny bit cautious about upgrading from 2.0.13 to 2.1.1 on a live
>system.
>
>Are there any problems, or advice on things to be careful of?
>
>Regards
>Rod
>--
>Rod Neep

I'm probably not the ideal person to ask about this. I have the benefit of
a backup server which I use to rehearse MM upgrades and correct problems
before doing the real thing on our dedicated primary MM server. I need to
do that as I use/maintain a number of MM upgrade patches and need to
produce upgraded versions of those when new MM releases come out.

I also use a Sendmail mailer (patch #644810) rather than maintaining a file
of mail aliases. I guess one of the big changes from 2.0.13 to 2.1.1 is the
revised mail aliases for each list and so I didn't have to deal with that.

My own experience with the 2.0.13 to 2.1.1 upgrade was that at a basic
level it was trouble free. I just read the INSTALL and UPGRADE documents
and got on with it.. I tend to take the view that it has to be done and it
will not get any easier by waiting. MM 2.1.1 has some nice extra features
which I wanted the benefit of them. That said I only ran the beta versions
of 2.1 on my backup machine on test; I'm not that keen to risk beta
software for production use.

I suggest a post to the mailman-users list asking about risk/experience on
the upgrade to 2.1.1 will be more useful than any further comment from me.

Best of luck

Richard
.