[Mailman-Users] sending restriction/moderation question v. 2.1.1

Christopher Adams chris.a.adams at state.or.us
Tue Mar 18 17:38:11 CET 2003

In all my list experience, "moderated" has meant just that. If a list owner
wants to review every message sent to the list, the list is set up as
moderated. In the new version of Mailman, the former brain-dead way of
setting up a list that is restricted to specific addresses for sending is
now a convoluted process, only documented in the FAQ, and requires a list
owner to go through way too many steps. Not only that, but it refers to
'moderation', which even I, as an experienced administrator had to check
several times before I was sure I had found the correct configuration.

I am still trying to figure out why  the developers made this such a
confusing process. Upgrading to the  new version also didn't carry all the
restricted list permissions and now I have to educate list owners about how
to configure their lists to only allow specific people to post. Some of
these people already have a problem with the basics and now this.

If anyone still hasn't figured this process out and needs assistance, I have
been through the ringer.

Christopher Adams
Library Systems Analyst
Oregon State Library