[Mailman-Users] Web mail archive only available to list administrator

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Mar 17 23:31:28 CET 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-17 at 12:14, Jan Banan wrote:
> Is it possible to make the web mail archive only available to list
> administrator? As what I can see I can only choose between having the mail
> archive public or private (for subscribers).
>
> One of my list administrator want to have a web mail archive only
> accessible to himself but not for the subscribers (he want them to imagine
> that what they write won't be archived :-) )
>
> I'm using Mailman 2.1.1.

I don't think that mailman can do this directly.

However, you could set up a separate list, say "listname-archive" that
exists solely to provide the archive.  Subscribe this one user to
listname-archive, with the nomail option set.  Then subscribe
"listname-archive" to "listname" to get posts sent there.  You may have
to tweak listname's config the "Alias names which qualify as explicit to
or cc destination names" config item.

This way, the one list administrator can see the archive in the
"listname-archive" version of the list, but everyone else thinks the
archive doesn't exist.  Of course make sure the listname-archive list is
hidden from view on the "listinfo" page, and you might name it something
more cryptic if you're really trying to be sneaky.

Obviously there are other possibilities involving external archiving
tools, but the above would let you do this with mailman only.

--Jeremy

--
| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |