[Mailman-Users] __init__.py line 51 Empty module name

Barry A. Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Mar 17 22:24:52 CET 2003

    S> I seem to be getting alot (about 700) of these all of the
    S> sudden w no changes to my Rhat 8.0/MM2.1.1 and sendmail
    S> 8.11.6. Can someone please point me in the right
    S> direction. thx, sumeet.

    S> "/usr/src/build/143041-i386/install/usr/lib/python2.2/encodings/__init__.py"
    S> , line 51, in search_function ValueError: Empty module name

What version of Python are you using and did you install it from
source or from RPM (e.g. it came with RH 8.0 when you installed the
system)?

If the latter, then the most likely cause is that RH's done it again,
by splitting the standard Python distro and not including the standard
encodings package with the basic Python RPM.

You choices are to install all the other Python related RPMs or build
Python 2.2.2 from source.  It would be nice to know what RPM ends up
fixing this and what Python packages it adds so that I can add the
appropriate assertions to Mailman's installation scripts.

-Barry