[Mailman-Users] sitewide list

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Mar 12 22:21:45 CET 2003

On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 15:48, Mark McEahern wrote:
> The INSTALL file recommends creating a site-wide list called mailman, but
> aside from saying this is where password reminders appear to come from, it
> seems short on details as to the purpose of this list.  I apologize if these
> questions are answered elsewhere.  I've at least cursorily scanned the
> obvious places.

This list should only be for you and other system/list admins that are
in charge of the whole Mailman install.  It is for Mailman errors and
list warnings.

> Here are the questions I'm pondering...
>
> 1.  When a subscriber to a normal list (i.e., something other than the
> sitewide list) subscribes, are they implicitly subscribed to the site-wide
> list?

No.

> 2.  After the step for creating the site-wide list, the INSTALL file says,
> "You should then subscribe yourself to the mailman list."  Why?

So if Mailman has an error to report, that error ends up in the Mailbox
of someone who can handle it.

> 3.  Is there any reason to display this site-wide list in the list of lists
> displayed by listinfo?

No.  This should always be a private list.

> 4.  Is there any reason to leave the archives public?  (I guess you could
> equally ask is there any reason to make them private?)

I wouldn't save archives for error messages (unless you like to do that
sort of thing).