[Mailman-Users] sitewide list

Mark McEahern marklists at mceahern.com
Wed Mar 12 21:48:50 CET 2003

The INSTALL file recommends creating a site-wide list called mailman, but
aside from saying this is where password reminders appear to come from, it
seems short on details as to the purpose of this list.  I apologize if these
questions are answered elsewhere.  I've at least cursorily scanned the
obvious places.

Here are the questions I'm pondering...

1.  When a subscriber to a normal list (i.e., something other than the
sitewide list) subscribes, are they implicitly subscribed to the site-wide
list?

2.  After the step for creating the site-wide list, the INSTALL file says,
"You should then subscribe yourself to the mailman list."  Why?

3.  Is there any reason to display this site-wide list in the list of lists
displayed by listinfo?

4.  Is there any reason to leave the archives public?  (I guess you could
equally ask is there any reason to make them private?)

I'm just trying to understand the purpose of the site-wide list.  Any
pointers would be helpful.

Thanks,

// m

-