[Mailman-Users] Investigating Mailman and have several requests

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Mar 6 22:05:23 CET 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 12:52, G Halley wrote:
> Howdy!
>
> Currently we are using a perl based mailing list manager.  A recent
> hardware change has made it appealing to use Mailman, but I would like
> to investigate its features more fully.  If you can help, please email
> me directly at GHHalley at earthlink.net

By the way, it's considered bad form to ask for private replies.  If you
expect people to give you free help, you can surely take the time to
subscribe to the list and look for replies there.

> 1)  How much control does the list-owners have through the web
> interface?  Does someone have a dead list which I can use to look at
> the  configuration webpages?

This sounds like something the mailman project should have -- some
demonstration pages that are non-functional, or at the least some
screenshots.  Maybe these do exist but I haven't seen them -- anyone
have any thoughts about this?

> 2)  Is the database of user names, emails, and passwords internal, or
> do I need MySql or another database up and running?  If so, (I have no
> Linux database experience) how complex is the setup?

The data is stored internally by mailman in files, so you don't need a
database program like MySQL.

--Jeremy