[Mailman-Users] New mail server setup

Steve Huston huston at astro.princeton.edu
Tue Mar 4 20:51:30 CET 2003

I'm setting up a new mail server, and Mailman is one of the softwares
installed.    Currently I have the defaults set for DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST
and DEFAULT_URL_HOST to be the actual hostname of the machine
(mercury), but when it goes online there will be an alias which should
be used instead (mail).  The email_host should actually then point to
the domain, not the hostname (ie, astro.princeton.edu instead of
mercury.astro or mail.astro).

As I've created lists to replace old alias exploders, I've forced the
"preferred hostname for this list" to be astro.princeton.edu, so that
mails it sends out say you should send mail to
listname at astro.princeton.edu, which is how it should look when it goes
live.  Currently the webpage information points to the actual hostname
and not mail, which is fine since mail is another server which knows
nothing about Mailman.

Am I correct that, once it goes live, I should run:

bin/withlist -l -a -r bin/fix_url

...and that will clean up the URLs appropriately (so they now read
mail.astro)?  Of course I first would have to first change
DEFAULT_URL_HOST in mm_cfg.py.

Is there anything that needs doing to change the DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST?
Or is that only used when the list is created for setting the initial
value for the "host name this list prefers for email"?  If that's the
case I might just set it now so I don't forget later while creating
lists on the box.

TIA

---
Steve Huston - Unix Systems Admin, Dept. of Astrophysical Sciences
  Princeton University  |     ICBM Address: 40.346525   -74.651285
    126 Peyton Hall     |"On my ship, the Rocinante, wheeling through
  Princeton, NJ   08544 | the galaxies; headed for the heart of Cygnus,
    (609) 258-7375      | headlong into mystery."  -Rush, 'Cygnus X-1'